Mobile devices have generated an explosion of growth in the realm of media platforms. Knowing what’s new and now is the driving force behind most social media. Whether it’s news, networking or messaging, information and communication are at the core of what it means to be online. We decided to compile some recent statistics related to social media that will get you up-to-date with the current landscape.
1. According to Our Social Times, Instagram had 50% growth in 9 months and is now larger than Twitter. The social network now boasts more than 300 million users sharing 70 million photos and videos each day.
2. Snapchat may be nearing 200 million active monthly users, according to Business Insider. Snapchat’s decision to turn down Facebook’s $3 billion offer in 2013 is starting to make sense now that current valuations of the content sharing app hover around $10-20 billion.
3. Facebook’s mobile only monthly active users reached 526 million, up from 346 million at the beginning of 2014. Recent stats also show that around 82% of the daily active Facebook users are outside North America.
4. As of the 4th quarter of 2014, Indonesia, India and Vietnam have the highest Google+ user rate with each country enlisting over 80% of their online population.
5. Linkedin now has over 347 million registered members. Only 32% of their total membership are registered here in the US.
6. Adweek tells us that Facebook’s WhatsApp now has more than 700 million users sending 30 billion daily messages. The company’s CEO, Jan Koum made the surprising announcement in a Facebook post earlier this year.
7. Looking back at 2014, Pew tells us that more than half of all internet-using adults aged 65 and older (a total of 56%) use Facebook, representing 31% of all US seniors.
8. According to the company, 80% of Twitter active users are on mobile and 77% of accounts are outside the US. Vine, the company’s video sharing product, also now has over 40 million users.
This article is brought to you by Enola Labs, a web and mobile app development company in Austin, Texas.